Instructions on how to import tasks
**To use this, you must have a Trial, Professional, or Business Level account
Part 1: Import all four types of data
If you are using a unique identifier that is not a default field in Copper then:
Set up custom fields for all “Companies”, “People”, “Opportunities” and “Leads” data. For example we can create a custom field called “External ID” for your original data identifier.
Part 2: Make a copy of our spreadsheet
- Click this link for the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TPVGWkyMPIa69E-ZEtA3v2n4H9F8ppEOXWQbutoZ8lA/copy
- It will ask you to make a copy. Please click to make a copy.
- If you do not have our Custom Report Build add-on, download it: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/Copper-crm-custom-r/bcbdocneacmnhkpdekkjjbeajeblmmhd?hl=en-US
Part 3: On your copy of the spreadsheet
- Type in your registered Copper email address and copy/paste in your API Token from Copper ⇨ Settings ⇨ API Keys ⇨ Generate API Token ⇨ Copy/paste it here
- In the menu, go to Add-ons -> Copper CRM Custom Report Builder -> Import data
- In “Choose what you want to import” put the Related Type you need. I’ll take Companies as an example, so select Companies
- In “Choose a filter,” we need all company records. So we select “All Companies.”, and hit “Import data”.
- You will wait for it to load
- You should see a new sheet named as this at the bottom
- Rename this sheet to “companies”
- Repeat step 2 to step 7 for the other 4 resource types “opportunities”, “people”, “leads” and “projects”.
Note: they have to be renamed to “opportunities”, “people”, “leads” and “projects”. For opportunities, you may need to extract all opportunities from every pipeline, then combine them into one sheet.
(If you are not using one of the tabs, just create a empty tab with that name. The tab still has to be there.)
- Then we need to modify each of the data sheet.
If you are using original data ID, dragg “External ID” column to the first column of that sheet:
If you are just using Copper ID, you can duplicate the first column:
- Repeat step 9 for all other data sheets.
Part 4: Fill in task data into Sheet 1
- There are 7 columns you can input task data.
- Only the first column is required. Task will be skipped when empty cells were found.
- Then 6 optional columns. “Related ID” and “Related Type” will give task a primary related resource. “User Name” will assign the user to task. You can also specify the “Status” of task to “Open” or “Completed”.
- The last 2 columns are status indicator. You don’t have to input anything here. “*Progress*” can be “Done”, “Skipped” or “Not found” (when related entity is not found on the data sheet). When one task is successfully imported, “*Task ID*” will be the newly created ID of that entry for your reference.
- For “Related ID” column, this is where you put your “external ID” of the related entity that task should be linked to. It matches the “External ID” column of the corresponding data sheet.
- “Related Type” column has to be one of the 5 data types: “company”, “opportunity”, “person”, “lead” or “project”. Data validation on this column can also help you get the right input.
- As for “User Name” column, you can use the “Get users list” helper from Copper menu => Get users list. Just paste the user name into the column so he will be assigned to the task.
- “Status” column can only be set to “Open” or “Completed”. Data validation should also help.
- “Description” column is where you put the content of task in. Could be simply paste from your source data.
- You can input formatted date or time string in “Due Date” column. The spreadsheet will try to parse it into a UNIX timestamp.
- After all columns are filled in, now we can start the importing process by hitting Copper menu => Import tasks
- It might ask you for authorization. Click “Continue”
- Click Allow
- You will see a notification saying “Running Script.” You can also check the “*Progress*” column for the running status.
- You are done!
- If you get some errors while running the script, you can REFRESH the page, modify the row that is causing the error. Then remove all the rows above it that has a “Done” in the “*Progress*” column preventing duplicate tasks. Just remember to right click on the rows => Delete cells => Shift up. You can also add more info to those “Skipped” ones. Then run the script, Copper menu => Import tasks, again.
If you have any questions, please make a support request here