Your pipeline represents your business or sales process from start to finish, with each stage Pipeline being steps involved in meeting your end goal. Each stage should have unique milestones that you and your team use to progress your deal.
You can access your Pipeline(s) and Opportunities by clicking the Opportunities icon in the left side panel.
In this article we'll cover:
The Stages of a Pipeline
The stages of a Pipeline represent a path from a qualified lead, to a won, lost, or abandoned status for your Opportunity. There should be defined criteria for when a deal can enter, or exit each stage.
To move your Opportunity through the pipeline stages, simply click and drag the opportunity and drop it into the next stage.
Your stages will depend on the use case of your business and the milestones of your sales process.
Let’s explore some examples of different pipelines and stages:
Traditional Sales Company:
Qualified → Follow-Up → Presentation → Contract Sent → Negotiation
First Meeting → Partner Meeting → Negotiation → Term Sheet
Phone Interview → First In-Person Interview → Second In-Person Interview → Reference Check → Offer Letter
As you progress the deal and meet the defined criteria for each stage, you’ll move your opportunity through to the next stage of the pipeline, until you finally reach the end of the opportunity and mark the deal won, lost, or abandoned.
What Pipeline Stages should I be using?
When identifying what Pipeline stages will work for your business, you’ll want to keep the following tips in mind:
- Limit the number of stages -- too many stages can confuse your process!
- Less is More (4-6 stages is optimal)
- Each stage should clearly define where your deal is in the process
- Set quantifiable milestones for your stages to make it easy to know when a deal should move to a new stage, such as:
- Approval of a project
- Acceptance of Terms
- Signed Contract
Create a new Pipeline
To create a new pipeline, follow the steps below:
- Click the Settings icon on the left side of the screen
- In the new Settings screen, scroll down the left side menu to the Customize section. Under the Opportunities sub-section, click “Pipeline Stages”.
- In the Pipelines section, click CREATE NEW PIPELINE.
- Type a name for your new pipeline in the Pipeline Name field.
- Next you’ll add all the stages that you want for your pipeline. Repeat the steps below for every stage you want to add:
- Enter the name of the stage in the Stage Name field.
- For Win Probability %, you’ll enter the percentage of likelihood that this deal pr project will be marked as “Won”. The beginning stages of your pipeline will have a lower probability than the latter stages.
- Click + Add Stage if you would like to populate another blank row.
- Once you’ve added all the stages, click Save.
- Navigate back to the Opportunities section. You can now switch between Pipelines by clicking the drop down menu in the upper left corner.
If you think you'll need more than one pipeline, no problem! You can create multiple pipelines, move opportunities between pipelines, and customize fields to only appear on opportunities when they're in a certain pipeline.
Still have questions?
Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.