How do I create a parent/child relationship between my records?
Some customers call linking two records together a 'parent/child' relationship. One record is the 'parent,' and the linked record associated to it is the 'child.' While we don't offer a parent/child relationship out of the box, you can create this relationship through custom fields. You'll create two fields:
The first field will be a drop-down called 'Relationship.' In this field, you'll select whether the record is a parent or a child
The second field will be a url field called 'Relationship URL.' In that field, you'll add the URL to the record that should be the parent or child.
For example, if you select 'Parent' on a record, you'll add the URL to the child record in the 'Relationship URL' field. If you select 'Child' on a record, you'll add the URL for the parent record in the 'Relationship URL' field.
- Sign into your Copper account and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'Custom Fields' under 'Customize Copper.'
- Click the blue 'Add Custom Field' button.
- In the lightbox that appears, name the field 'Relationship,' and choose 'Dropdown' from the 'Field Type' option. Name the two options 'Parent' and 'Child.' Then fill out the rest of the fields.
5. Click 'Save' when you're done.
6. Click the blue 'Add Custom Field' button.
7. In the lightbox that appears, name the field 'Relationship URL and set the field type to 'URL.' Fill in the rest of the fields.
8. Click 'Save' when you're done.
9. Open the record you saved the fields to so you can check your results:
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.