Track web visits of your contacts to identify sales-ready leads and understand which traffic sources perform best.
Coppers's website visitor tracking feature, or simply Web tracking as we call it, shows you which contacts visited your website, where they come from, and which pages they've been on.
Their visit history is synced into Copper who is engaged, what they’re interested in, whether they’re more likely to buy and which channel converts best.
Web tracking is also a key part of our lead scoring feature, allowing you to save time by focusing only on the highest scoring leads.
Copper identifies your website visitors in one of two ways:
- When people click on emails sent from Copper Email Sequences
- When people fill in a supported form on your website.
Supported forms where leads are identified automatically
- Mailchimp forms
- Gravity Forms
- Contact form 7
- Hubspot HTML forms
- Squarespace forms (coming soon)
- WPForms (coming soon)
- Custom web forms (see next section)
Note: when using non-custom forms, please use the standard class settings in the forms. Changes in class settings may break the lead identification. If you are running into issues with the leads not getting identified, please reach out to us via chat
How to identify visitors from custom-built web forms
If you’re using a custom web form on your website, you'd need to add a few attributes to your form so that Copper can also start identifying these leads.
Here's how (5-10min):
- Open your website code editor and find the HTML code that your form uses
- Add the following attribute to the form element: class="outfunnel-form"
- Add the following attribute to the email field: class="outfunnel-input-email"
- Optional: Add the following attribute to first name and last name fields: class="outfunnel-input-firstname" and class="outfunnel-input-lastname"
Once added, we recommend testing that everything is working by filling in the form in incognito window and verifying that the visit appears under Copper Visitor Feed in 30 seconds after the form fill.
Web tracking activity is synced to CRM with a 30-minute delay. While the web visit appears under the Copper Visitor Feed almost immediately, it's synced to Copper CRM with a 30-minute delay to ensure that the entire session is listed under a single activity.
Copper Web Tracking creates a contact in your CRM automatically. When a supported web form is filled, Copper automatically creates the contact record (with only name and email in Copper CRM) with a 30-second delay if an existing contact with a matching email is not found. If a contact with a matching email is found, Copper syncs the web tracking activity under the existing contact.
- Note: If you are need custom field support, you will need a separate solution for making the record in Copper with that information
Step 1. Add the tracking code on your site.
You’ll find your tracking code in the Web tracking section.
- If you have access to the HTML of your website (or to your content management system), you can complete the steps below yourself.
- If you do not have access to your website's HTML, email this article to your web developer or IT department.
- Note: This functionality is powered by Outfunnel
Paste the code onto each page of your website
You can add tracking code to your website in one of three ways:
- Paste it into the header section of your website between and tags - this way it gets added to each page which features the header.
- Paste it above the closing body tag (between and tags) for each individual page on your website
- Paste it into the footer section of your website between and tags - this way it gets added to each page which features the footer.
Because every website or content management system is structured differently, we can't provide you with exact instructions on how to add tracking code. If you're not sure how to access the HTML code of your site, email this article to your webmaster, IT department, or technical resource.
Check if web tracking is active
Navigate to the Web section and ensure that Email Sequencing displays: Web tracking active.
It may take up to 5 minutes for the system to display active status. If you still don't see it as active 3rd party browser scripts might block the view. Just open Copper Email Sequences in browser incognito mode and check if it shows active. If it's still inactive, please reach out to our support team.
Step 2. Identify web visitors Copper Email Sequences
If you’re using Copper Email Sequences to send marketing emails and/or supported forms on your website to collect leads, website visitors will automatically be matched to contacts when people click on links included in any emails or fill in a form.
The more people click on your emails, the more people Copper Web Tracking can identify, so we recommend sending a campaign or two with a very attractive call-to-action or offer to increase the number of people Copper Web Tracking can identify.
Step 3. See website visits in Copper
You’re then ready to start seeing website visits from leads who have clicked on at least one campaign. We’ll show you the time of the visit and the pages visited.
Step 4 (optional). Sync website visits and contact source information to Copper CRM
Go to the Web section and configure web site visit recording. This automation allows you to configure web visit and contact source recording in the CRM.
- Web pages visited allows you to see what someone might be interested in.
- Contact source shows how your leads first landed on your website. (Eg. a link from another website or a newsletter). For best results, we recommend using UTM tags for your email campaigns, ads and any other campaigns.
- Make sure to check out the Channel report tab to see which channels convert best.
In the example below you can see that the google.com / organic channel has created the most new opportunities in absolute terms and it's also the best-converting source of leads.
In order to increase usefulness to salespeople we post web visits and the contact source information to Copper CRM with a 30-minute delay, so we can list all pages visited within the first half an hour, and the duration of looking at each page.
Step 5. Stay GDPR compliant
A couple of things to keep in mind:
💡 Web tracking activity is synced to Copper CRM with a 30 minute delay. While the web visit appears under the visitor feed almost immediately, it's synced to Copper CRM with a 30 minute delay to ensure that the entire session is listed under a single activity.
To read more about this feature, you can see this article.