*In order for this to work, you need to have the app open on your phone while you are texting*
How do I auto-log text messages (SMS) in my Android mobile app? I want to see them in the activity logs.
The auto-log text messages (SMS) feature, available on Android Beta, will now automatically log your text messages with contacts in Copper. Any text you send or receive on your Android device is logged, as long as the Copper app is installed and the the phone number is associated to a record in Copper.
(This feature is not currently available for the iOS version of our app.)
You'll start by creating a custom field called 'Text Message' (you will only need to do this for the Beta version):
- On the Copper website, go to Settings, and then Activity Types.
- Create a custom activity type labeled 'Text Message.'
Then, enable Auto-log Text Messages (SMS) in Copper on your Android device.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the Android app.
- Open up your Copper app, and log in.
- Click the 'More' link in the bottom navigation bar:
- Select 'Text Message'
- Enable 'Text Message Tracking'
- Accept the required permissions.
Now that you've activated the feature, any text messages sent to or received by any contact in Copper from your Android device will be automatically logged!
There are a few important notes about this feature:
- Auto-logging text messages (SMS) does not currently work with third party VoIP services such as Google Voice, RingCentral or Dialpad.
- If you need an iOS solution, JustCall built an integration with us and Copper users. Click here to get a 20% discount.
What to do when it's not working:
Please follow these steps if you notice auto call logging now working:
1. Install any updates from the Play Store
2. Log out of your Google account, and log in again.
3. Restart the Copper mobile app
4. Make sure you have all the required mobile app permissions. Go to your device Settings > Applications > Application Manager> Copper > App Permissions (the location of this screen may vary according to device or OS version). You want to make sure your settings look like this:
5. Noticing a lot of the outgoing numbers not logging? Can you check your Copper records and make sure the numbers match? A lot of times we call a number thinking we recorded that number in Copper, but it's just a tad different.
Here are two images. The left one shows the Copper record. The right one shows what your phone screen looks like when you call someone. Please check that the two are the same.
6. Are you using a third party app like Google hangouts or Google voice? If so, please double check step 5 as sometimes Google hangouts and voice change the number a bit which causes us to not be able to log the call or text.
If none of the above steps work, please contact Customer Support here.
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.