Google Data Studio is a tool for creating a custom, interactive dashboard of reports. We built a connector between ProsperWorks and Data Studio so our customers can create Data Studio reports and dashboards around ProsperWorks data with ease.
Note: Use of the Data Studio connector with the ProsperWorks service will transfer your data from the ProsperWorks platform to a site hosted by or for Google. Once transferred, your data is subject to the use, privacy, and data protection terms separately agreed by you and Google
Data Studio is a free GCP connected visual analytics tool. Users can connect to one or more data sources, then quickly visualize and build reports. It allows users to flexibly transform the data within the tool. Users can also share, export, or embed reports. Google Data Studio is currently in Beta.
There are many benefits of using Data Studio including:
- Stay inside the Google ecosystem - Using Data Studio for ProsperWorks data will result in a very fluid and smooth user experience for our users without having to sign up for a new service.
- Getting the data in is easy - We have built a ProsperWorks Community Connector to easily access the data you need.
- Creating reports and charts are really easy - Both ProsperWorks and Data Studio uses Google's material design for the best user experience for creating charts and reports, and offers the seamless experience going from one platform to another.
Our Google Data Studio Connector sends ProsperWorks data into Google Data Studio. You just need to set up one connection for each ProsperWorks record type. From there, the connector will auto-refresh the data every six hours.
You create each record type's connection separately using your ProsperWorks API Key. Keep in mind the visibility of records is determined by the API Key of the user who initially sets up the connection for that record type. Depending on the team permissions and visibility setting, the records they can't see will not be sent to Google Data Studio via the connector.
Note: The connector can currently pull up to 80,000 data points comfortably. If you're trying to load more data than this, you may experience an error.
The Google Data Studio Connector and the Google Sheets Add-on are both methods of sending data to Google Data Studio to build a report. There are unique benefits to using one over the other.
While the Connector just needs to be set up once and will auto-refresh data from then on, the Add-on must be user-triggered to refresh each time you want to build a new report.
Yet while the Connector sends each record type separately from ProsperWorks to Google Data Studio, meaning you must build your report about just that record type, the Add-on lets you merge record types and build a report around multiple record types at once in Data Studio.
The Add-on also lets you import more data at once into Data Studio than the Connector does.
Check out the chart below to review the benefits of each tool:
|Benefits||Google Data Studio Connector||Google Sheets Add-on|
|Free to Use||Yes||Yes|
|Authorization Method||Google OAuth||Google OAuth|
|Data Size Limit||200 MB||~2 million cells|
- A ProsperWorks account on our Professional or Business subscription
- An API Key from your ProsperWorks account.
- A Google Data Studio account.
- Open the template you want to use in the Reporting Gallery.
- Click the option to make a copy of this template.
- In the pop-up window that appears, you'll be asked to choose the data source to populate this template with. You can choose an existing data source from the drop down menu, or you can choose the option to create a new data source. Let's look at creating a new data source:
- In the landing page that appears, search for 'ProsperWorks'. You should see a ProsperWorks box appear in the 'Partner Connectors' section.
- Click 'Connect' in the upper right of the page.
- Click the blue 'Authorise' button that appears.
- Select your Google account from the list. This should be the Google account associated with your ProsperWorks account.
- A pop-up window will appear letting you know Google Data Studio wants to access your account. Click the blue 'Allow' button.
- On the connector landing page, you'll see that you need to enter information into three grey boxes. In the first grey box in the page, enter your email address associated with your ProsperWorks user profile.
- In the second grey box, enter your ProsperWorks API Key.
- To obtain your API Key, sign into ProsperWorks, and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'API Keys' from the 'Preferences' section.
- Click the blue 'Generate API Key' option.
- Copy your API key from the page.
- Return to the Google Data Studio Connector landing page.
- Paste your API Key into the 'ProsperWorks API Key' grey box.
- Choose "Opportunities" as a record type since the report is based on ProsperWorks Opportunity data.
- Click 'Connect.'
- The page that appears shows how each field associated with the record type will be sent over. This is typically accurate, but you may want to look it over to ensure the type and aggregation are correct.
- When you're ready, click the blue 'Add to Report' button in the upper right corner of the page.
- Now you can view and edit the template with your data in it.