Your Gmail emails are synced into Copper as soon as you create your account (or as soon as you're added to it). The default setting ensures they're synced visibly. You and your teammates have the option to limit visibility on synced emails - continue reading for more details.
As you saw when you added your team to Copper, the Gmail sync setting was checked. That means the new user's emails are synced into Copper.
You may have a business need to share this information among team mates.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
- Understand the Gmail sync
- Define your desired email visibility
- Allow or disable emails from syncing visibly
- Adjust visibility on individual emails
First, let's get some context for what the Gmail sync with Copper actually does.
Understand the Gmail Sync
This is what happens when Copper syncs with your Gmail account:
- Emails you send to or receive from Leads and People will appear in the activity feed associated with that record.
- Emails you send to or receive from contacts who aren't yet in the system as Leads or People may cause them to be listed as Suggested Contacts.
- Google Calendar events with Leads and People will appear in their Related Items section on that record.
The following settings are turned on by default, but can be turned off:
- Sync tasks from Copper to your Google Calendar
- Sync contact updates from Copper to Gmail. (Contact updates made in Gmail won't be synced back to Copper).
Set user-level email visibility
Each user can specify their default email privacy by going to Settings > Personal Preferences > Email Settings & Templates > Emails, Files, and Links Visibility
If you are the account owner, you can also specify if you'd like Admins to be able to see emails that have been marked not visible by other users. If you uncheck this box, Admins in Copper will have the same email visibility rules as users.
Allow or disable emails from syncing visibly
As an Admin:
- Sign into your Copper account and click 'Settings.'
- Click 'Email Settings' under Preferences.
- Scroll down to the 'Individual email visibility control (Admin)' section:
- Select a visibility option. We recommend choosing No (always visible by default) to ensure your team gets the most out of Copper.
If you select No (always visible by default) or No (always private by default), this overrides settings other users may have chosen.
If you select Yes, users may specify their own default visibility (visible by default), then each user can adjust their default visibility at Settings > Personal Preferences > Email Settings & Templates > Emails, Files, and Links visibility
Adjust visibility on individual emails
You just saw how to let your users set email visibility in bulk. There may be exceptions to those bulk rules. To see the visibility on an individual email, find that email in an activity feed and click the three dots in the top right corner.
You will see a color-coded padlock icon:
- If the Padlock is green, it means the email is visible to your team. Click the lock to change the visibility.
- If the padlock is red, it means the email is not visible to your team. Click the lock to change the visibility.
- If the padlock is yellow, it indicates that another system user was also cc’d on the email, and they can see the email in Copper, too.