By default, most of the fields on your Copper records are optional for users to fill out. If your business requires information from the default or custom fields in these records, you can make those fields required when the record is being created.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
Here are some things to note about required fields:
- You cannot create a new record (person, company, opportunity, lead, project or task) from scratch without filling out all required fields.
- You cannot convert a lead to a person without filling out all required fields on the person record.
- You cannot convert a lead to a person with an associated opportunity without filling out all required fields on the person or opportunity record.
- You can convert a lead to a person with an associated company record and not fill out all the required fields on the company record. You still have to fill out all the required fields on the person record, though.
- You can bypass required fields if you import records via a file or our API.
- You can delete data from that field after the record is created. Required field is only enforced upon record creation, not edit.
We recommend creating three required fields or less to start, so your workflow doesn't become overly complicated. To decide what fields should be required, ask yourself what your reporting goals will be in the end of all this information-gathering. The fields you track most heavily or those most closely aligned with your team's goals are the ones you should require.
There are a few easy steps to enable Required Fields for you account:
- Sign into your Copper account and click 'Settings' in the left-hand menu.
- Scroll down to 'Customize Copper' and click 'Field Settings.'
- Across the top of the page, you’ll see the different record types (leads, people, companies, opportunities, projects or tasks) you can edit fields for. Click the record type you want to work with.
- Locate the ‘Record Creation Rules’ column and/or the 'Record Edit Rules' column, then scroll down to the drop-down menu that corresponds with the field you’d like to make required.
- Select ‘Required’ from the drop-down menu. Your changes will be automatically saved.
- When your users create a new record, they'll be prompted to fill in all required fields before saving the record
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.