The 'Contact Type' field lets you know how a person or company relates to your business. By default, you can specify whether they're a potential or current customer, but we let you add custom contact types, too. Categorizing your people and companies will help keep your contact list organized and allow you to prioritize your follow-ups accordingly.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
The contact type on a person or company record lets you know where you stand with this contact. By default, you can make someone a 'Current Customer,' 'Potential Customer,' or 'Other.' But admins can create additional custom contact types to make your workflow more tailored to your business.
When you move an opportunity to 'Won,' you'll be asked if you want to check a box to make the associated person and company records into the 'Contact Type' of your choosing. Checking this box on the pop-up window will result in the 'Contact Type' field being set to 'Current Customer' in this example:
Your contact types can be like stages in a pipeline: They represent the various stages your relationship with a contact might go through. If you want to go beyond potential to current customer, map out these stages, then turn them into custom contact types.
You can reorder your custom contact types but not the system contact types ('Potential Customer' and 'Current Customer'). You also can delete your custom contact types but not the system contact types ('Potential Customer' and 'Current Customer.') 'Potential Customer' will always be the default contact type.
You might also think about associating automated actions to your contact types. For example, if you set someone as a 'potential customer,' an automated action could prompt you to create an associated opportunity for that contact.
You can select a contact type when you create a person or company, or as an edit to an existing record. Let's look at steps for the latter:
- Sign into your Copper account, and click 'People' or 'Companies' from the lefthand menu.
- Click the name of the person or company you'd like to edit.
- Click the 'Contact Type' drop-down menu in the left-hand column of the person or company record:
- Make a selection between 'Potential Customer,' 'Current Customer,' or 'Other.' If you'd prefer to customize your contact types, clicking the fourth option in blue will take you to the Settings > Contact Types page we'll detail in the next section of this article, where you can add new contact types that are more tailored to your workflow.
- Sign into your Copper account, and click the 'Settings' link in the left-hand menu.
- Click 'Contact Types' from the 'Customize Copper' menu.
- Click the blue 'New Contact Type' button in the upper right of the page.
- Give your contact type a name, and click 'Save.'
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.