Mailchimp is an email marketing tool that helps you manage email lists and campaigns, analyze their performance, and more. If you need email functionality beyond Copper’s bulk email tool, Mailchimp’s free or paid plans might be a good fit for you.
Our MailChimp integration lets you export leads or people from Copper into MailChimp email campaigns and audiences.
Here, we’ll discuss how to:
- Set up the Mailchimp Integration
- Export Contacts from Copper to a MailChimp audience
- Remove Copper Contacts from MailChimp
We also have an FAQ section at the bottom for extra questions about the Mailchimp integration.
Set up the MailChimp integration
Let’s run through the steps to set up the integration between your Copper account and Mailchimp.
- Create a MailChimp account if you don’t already have one.
- Sign into your MailChimp account, and click your name in the upper right.
- Select 'Account' from the drop-down menu:
- Click the 'Extras' in-page drop-down menu, and select 'API Keys':
- Scroll down to the 'Your API Keys' box, and click the option to 'Create a Key':
- Copy the API key that's generated:
- Sign into your Copper account, and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Click 'Integrations' from the 'Customize Copper' section.
- Click the 'Connect' button to the right of the MailChimp listing:
- Paste the API Key you generated in your MailChimp account into the pop-up box that appears here in your Copper Account, then click 'Enable':
- You should now see a ‘'Disconnect' button under the MailChimp listing, confirming you are all set to go!
Export contacts from Copper to a MailChimp audience
- Sign into your Copper account, and select 'Leads' or 'People' from the left-hand menu.
- Check the box at the top of the page to select all leads or people in the page. Alternatively, you can individually check boxes next to the people you'd like to add.
- Select the ellipses above the list of records, and choose 'Add to MailChimp' from the drop down.
- In the box that appears, check a box for each audience you'd like to send your leads or people to, and click 'Subscribe':
- When you return to the lead or person record you just added to your MailChimp audience, you'll see a 'MailChimp' section in the 'Related' section of the profile. You'll see a button to view this in MailChimp:
- Sign into your Copper account, and select 'Leads' or 'People' records from the left-hand menu.
- Check the box to the left of the record you wish to remove.
- Click the three dots above the list of records, and choose 'Remove from MailChimp' from the drop-down menu:
- To confirm the change was made successfully, click the name of a contact and double check the 'MailChimp' section of their profile on the left-hand side. You should no longer see the MailChimp audience or campaign listed in the ‘Related’ section.
Still having trouble? Please view our video on how to connect MailChimp.
Disabling the Mailchimp API Key
If you no longer use the Copper-Mailchimp integration, follow these steps to disable the API key:
- First, sign into your MailChimp account. Click your profile name to expand the Account Panel and choose 'Account.'
- Click the 'Extras' menu and choose 'API keys.' If you don’t see this option, you may need to check if you Mailchimp account has Manager permissions.
- Find the MailChimp API key and click the 'Disable' link in the 'Status' column for that API key.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which fields can the integration add to MailChimp?
First name, last name, and email address.
What is Mailchimp for?
MailChimp is intended for sending out email marketing campaigns to a wide audience It’s a great option for sending out newsletters, whether you’re in real estate, nonprofit, or offering a product or service.Our integration helps you balance those mass communications with your relationship-driven business.
What happens if I try to add a Lead or Person from Copper that already exists in Mailchimp?
If the contact is already in your MailChimp account, we update the existing MailChimp record.
How do I add Copper records to a MailChimp segment?
We do not have this feature yet. As a workaround, try exporting your leads via Settings > Data Management > Export Data > Export Leads, erase all columns except for email address, and import this list manually into MailChimp.
How do I import custom fields from Copper into MailChimp?
To import custom fields, add the fields in Mailchimp and then import your list into MailChimp separately.
How do I know which MailChimp audiences and campaigns a lead or person has been added to?
You can see this in the MailChimp section under the ‘Related’ tab in the person or lead record.
How many campaigns and audiences can I load?
Our integration will sync up to 25 campaigns and 10 audiences. If you require more than this, please make a feature request here.