When you sign up for Copper with your Gmail account, the Gmail sync is activated to help you keep track of your Gmail communications with contacts in Copper.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
Once you sign up for Copper with your Gmail address, we will sync your Gmail emails from the last 90 days or up to 1000 emails, whichever comes first.
- If you've never created a lead/person record for the contact, they will appear as a Suggested Contact in your 'Today' Dashboard. You can convert a suggested contact into a person record in the Copper web app. (To convert a suggested contact into a lead record, you must install the Chrome Extension for Gmail).
- If a lead/person record already exists for the contact, their email will be synced under their record. To learn more about who can see these emails, check out our article on email visibility permissions.
When you add a new lead or person to Copper, we'll sync Gmail emails between that lead or person and any Copper Company User from the last 365 days, plus any emails you continue to exchange with the lead or person. To learn more about who can see these emails, check out our article on email visibility permissions.
If you want to import suggested contacts and associate emails to existing contacts in Copper, Gmail is the email client you should be using. For many reasons, managing your business with Google apps will enhance your Copper experience and vice versa.
If you'd prefer to use a different email client, like Outlook, you can still associate your emails to Copper records by adding your 'Copper mailbox address' in the BCC field of any email you want to associate.
Google sync is activated as soon as you create a Copper account with a Gmail address. To access and adjust your settings, follow the steps below:
- Sign into your Copper account, and click the 'Settings' link from the left-hand menu.
- Click 'Email Settings' under 'Preferences.'
- Under the 'Preferences' in-page tab, the first white box in the page presents you with an 'Email Preference' drop-down menu.
- If you select 'Send and Reply from Copper,' you're telling the system you prefer to work on emails in the Copper web app. This selection is required if you want to use features like bulk send and email templates. Once you make this selection from the drop-down, you'll need to decide if you want to mark synced emails public by default, and if you want your Gmail signature to apply when you send an email from Copper:
- If you select 'Email links open in Gmail,' you're telling the system you prefer to work on emails in Gmail. You'll need to decide if you want to mark synced emails public by default, and if you want your Copper email address to be BCC'd on the communications:
- Sign into your Copper account, and click 'Dashboard' from the left-hand menu.
- Review the 'Suggested Contacts' section and click the blue 'Add' button to the right of any contact you'd like to add:
- In the popup window that appears, you can create a person record with the suggested contact's information. If you instead want to create leads from your suggested contacts, you must install the Chrome Extension for Gmail.
If you use Chrome as your web browser and you'd prefer to work out of Gmail, you embed Copper functionality in Gmail using Chrome Extension for Gmail. If you instead use a different browser, or if you prefer to use Gmail on your Android phone, you can use our Add-on for Gmail. The Add-on is limited - it's a contact management tool at present - but it still lets you work from Gmail rather than Copper for some aspects of your workflow. Not sure which way to go? Compare the web app, extension and add-on.
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.