Create your Custom Fields (Optional)
Account Owners and Admin Users: When you create a lead, person, company, or opportunity, you can add custom fields to your records for any data you need to collect that isn’t already covered in Copper’s default fields.
Check out Create a custom field for instructions on how to do this before you import your data.
Make a Copy of our Spreadsheet
- Click here to access the How to Import Tasks spreadsheet.
- Click “Make a copy” on the webpage that opens.
- Your copy of the How to Import Tasks spreadsheet will open in a new tab.
Enter your Email Address and API Key
- In your spreadsheet, enter your Copper registered email address in the field next to “Prosperworks/Copper Email”.
- Enter your Copper API Key in the field next to “Prosperworks/Copper API Token”.
If you don’t already have a Copper API Key, follow these steps to generate one:
1. In your Copper account, click “Settings”, select “API Keys”, and click the “Generate API Key” button.
2. Copy your API key and paste it into your spreadsheet.
Download our Google Sheets Add-On
Click here to install our Google Sheets Add-on. Once you have it installed, you'll be able to access it in Google Sheets under the Extensions option.
Import your Data
- Back in the Copy of How to Import Tasks spreadsheet: Click “Add-ons” from the top menu bar, hover over “Copper CRM Custom Report Builder”, and click “Import data”. If you're not logged in already, it will prompt you to log in.
- Choose the data you want to import, choose the filter you want to apply, and click “Import data”.
- Notice that a new sheet, automatically named after the data type and filter you chose, will have generated at the bottom of your spreadsheet.
- Right-click (or CTRL+Click on a Mac) the new sheet and select “Rename”.
- Rename the sheet so it only contains the data type, and click Enter.
If you imported Company data, the sheet should be named: “Companies”.
If you imported Opportunity data, the sheet should be named: “Opportunities”.
If you imported People data, the sheet should be named: “People”.
If you imported Leads data, the sheet should be named: “Leads”.
If you imported Projects data, the sheet should be named: “Projects”.
For Opportunity data, you may need to extract all opportunities from every pipeline, and then combine them into one sheet called “Opportunities”.
- If you are using original ID data, click and drag the “External ID” column all the way to the left so it becomes the first column. Repeat for each tab where this column exists. IMPORTANT COLUMN B NEEDS TO HAVE YOUR COPPER RECORD ID. COLUMN A CAN BE THE COPPER RECORD ID OR ANOTHER IDENTIFIER SUCH AS "NAME"
- Click “Start new import” and repeat steps 3-7 until you have imported each data type: Companies, Opportunities, People, Leads, and Projects. Click the X button if you’re finished.
- Repeat the above step for every data sheet.
Enter your Task Data
- Click “Sheet1” at the bottom of your spreadsheet.
- Enter your data into the Sheet1 columns.
Only the Task Name field is required. Tasks will be skipped when empty cells are found in this field.
- Task Name (required field): Name your task.
- Related ID: Enter the External ID for the related entity that task should be
- Related Type: Choose the relevant data type: “Company”, “Opportunity”, “Person”, “Lead”, or “Project”.
User Name: Assign a user to the task. You can only assign a user who exists in your Copper account, and the name must match exactly how it appears in your Copper account.
To check your users in your Copper account, click “Settings” and “Company Users” in your Copper account. To check your users from the spreadsheet, click “Copper” and select “Get users list”.
- Status: Choose “Open” or “Completed”.
- Description: Add any additional notes you’d like to add to move this task forward.
- Due Date: Set the date and time when this task should be complete.
- *Progress*: No data input required on your end.
- *Task ID*: No data input required on your end. When a task has been successfully imported, this field will populate with a newly-created Task ID for your reference.
Import your Task Data
- In the spreadsheet, click “Copper” and select “Import tasks”.
- Click “Continue”.
- Choose a Google account to use.
- Click “Advanced”.
- Click “To to Task Import”.
- Click “Allow”.
- Wait for the report to run, and check the “Progress” column for “Done” for the running status (and to confirm that your task was successfully imported). You’re done!
- Refresh the page.
- Modify the row(s) that is causing the error(s).
- To prevent duplicate tasks, remove any row that a) is above the error row, and also b) has “Done” in the “*Progress*” column. Ensure you delete them by right-clicking (CTRL+Shifting on a Mac) and clicking “Delete row”.
- Try importing your tasks again via the steps above.
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.