The RingCentral integration allows you to make and receive phone calls from within the Copper web app. Dial your contacts from their Copper records, log notes during your call, and add new contacts from unknown numbers.
In this article, we will review:
- Technical Requirements
- Admin Setup
- User Setup
- Making Calls from the Copper Web App
- Receiving Calls in the Copper Web App
- Making Calls from the Copper iOS Mobile App
- Troubleshooting FAQs
To set up and use the RingCentral integration, you will need:
- An active Copper subscription (Professional or Business tier), with Admin acess.
- An active RingCentral subscription (Premium or Business tier), with Super Admin access
- Chrome web browser
- A strong internet connection
There are two parts to the setup process:
- Admin setup; required to enable the integration and to match users with their extensions
- Individual user setup; required to configure caller ID and to receive calls in Copper
First, let’s enable the RingCentral integration in Copper.
- Log in to Copper web app, go to Settings > Integrations.
- Find the RingCentral tile and click “CONNECT.”
- A prompt will ask you to sign into your RingCentral account and authorize access. Note, you need to be a RingCentral Super Admin to complete this step.
You’ll know the connection has been set up when the RingCentral tile in Copper says “RingCentral successfully connected.”
Next, we need to map your RingCentral extensions to your Copper users.
- From the Copper web app, go back to Settings > Integrations and find the RingCentral tile. Click “Settings.”
- The RingCentral settings page will open up, with drop-downs to select a user for each extension. Select the Copper user that corresponds to each extension. Note, you need to be a RingCentral Super Admin to complete this step.
- Click Save.
The users who have been paired with their extensions in the above steps will see a phone icon in Copper the next time they log in or after they refresh their browser page.
There are two steps for users to set up their RingCentral integration:
- Connecting Your RingCentral account
- Configure Phone Settings
Connecting Your RingCentral Account
- Log into the Copper web app. In the upper right hand corner you should see a crossed-out phone icon. Click on it to access your RingCentral account. If you don’t see the icon, contact your Copper admin.
- A prompt will ask you to sign into your RingCentral account and authorize access.
- Back in the Copper web app, you’ll see the phone icon is no longer crossed out.
Configure Phone Settings
The last step is to configure the phone settings in Copper. In the Copper web app, go to Settings > Phone Settings. Here you can:
- Select your outbound caller ID
- Opt in or out of receiving phone calls in the Copper web app
- Play a test sound to check your audio connection
Making Calls from the Copper Web App
When you make your first call, your Chrome browser will prompt you to grant access to your microphone. Make sure to click "Allow" to enable your microphone.
To call a Lead or Person, open their record and click their phone number. This will start a call using the RingCentral integration.
To dial a phone number, click on the phone icon in the top right corner or the web app.
Receiving Calls in the Copper Web App
Incoming calls will appear at the top of the page in the Copper web app with an option to answer or ignore.
If you click the contact’s name before answering, the associated contact record will appear on your screen.
Once you answer a call, the call information and options will appear at the top of the page.
To save or update a contact during a call, click the “Add Contact” icon.
To put yourself on mute, click the microphone icon.
To open the number pad, click the number pad icon.
To log a phone call and make notes, click the speech bubble icon. A box will open where you can change your activity type and enter notes. If your call ends, the box will remain open until you click “Save.”
Making Calls from the Copper iOS Mobile App
You can also initiate calls via RingCentral through the Copper iOS app.
- Make sure you have both the RingCentral iOS app and the Copper iOS app installed on your device, and that you are logged into both apps.
- Open up the Copper app on your device, then go to Settings > Phone.
- Select RingCentral as your calling app. If you don't already have the RingCentral app installed on your phone, you'll see an "Install" button to that.
Once you do that, any calls you start from the Copper mobile app will be routed through RingCentral.
How do I dial an extension once I am on a call?
When using our click-to-dial functionality, the system does not read extensions separate from the phone number. To do this, you'll need to write the extension on another line.
I'm trying to call internationally and it isn't working properly.
Make sure the international number doesn't have 00 in front. That format does not work in this system.
I can't seem to make calls anymore.
A prior phone call may have gotten stuck. This can sometimes be caused by having too many browser tabs open.
Go to Settings > Phone Settings > Force End Call to manually disconnect any previous calls.
I initiated a call in my browser but the call isn’t going through.
When a call is made from the Copper web app, it passes through multiple systems. Issues might be caused by your internet connection, by RingCentral’s connection, or by Copper. Follow the steps below to confirm whether or not the bad connection is caused by Copper.
- Right click on the call bar in the Copper web app
- In the pop up menu select “Inspect”
- A new window will open titled “Developer Tools - https://…”
- In the new pop up window select “Console”
- Click on the icon in the top left corner
- Select “Errors” from the filter menu.
- If you see any red messages on your list then take a screenshot of it and contact our support team using the in-app chat.
My microphone isn't working. How do I fix this?
When you attempt to make your first call from Copper, your Chrome browser will prompt you to grant access to your microphone for the browser. Click “Allow” for the Copper app to use your microphone for all subsequent calls. You only have to do this once.
To confirm Copper can access your audio devices, a small camera icon will appear in the address bar. Clicking the camera icon will show a pop up menu to confirm the status of microphone access:
If you've used the microphone before and it has stopped working, the microphone may be blocked by your browser. If this is the case, you will see a camera icon with a red 'x' in the browser’s address bar.
To fix this issue, click on the camera icon and select "Always allow access to your microphone."
I have more than one microphone. Which one should I use?
When more than one microphone is available, Copper may not have access to the microphone you intend to use. This causes the audio input not to work in Copper, and for other parties on the call can not hear you.
To ensure Copper is connected to the right microphone, click on the camera icon on the right side of your URL bar. Use the dropdown for "Microphone" to select the one you want to use.
I am having trouble making calls when I have multiple Copper tabs open on my browser!
When Copper is open in more than 5 tabs in the browser only the first 5 tabs can make or receive calls. To resolve the issue, close your extra tabs and then refresh the page.