Leads and Opportunities carry a value in Copper. Your company likely has a default currency you want to associate to these values, but your users may want to view transactions or reports in a different currency that's easier for them to interpret. Our multicurrency feature offers this flexibility.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
- Understand multi-currency
- Choose your company-wide currencies
- Format your currencies
- Choose your personal currency preference
- Use multiple currencies in Copper
With our multi-currency feature, each Copper user can select a preferred currency to view on leads, opportunities and reports. An Admin can set a default currency for the account. If users don't specify a different personal currency, they'll view transactions in that default currency.
Currency selection affects the following areas of your account:
- Select a preferred currency when editing the 'Value' field on lead and opportunity records.
- Filter Leads and Opportunities by currency.
- Sort lead and opportunity records by a 'Value' column in which both the default and preferred currencies are displayed.
- Display in-app reports and dashboards in the user's preferred currency.
All currency values will be displayed with a currency ISO code (ex: USD 100) instead of a currency symbol (ex: $100).
Once you have multi-currency set up:
- For Open Opportunities, the converted Value will be re-calculated daily until the Opportunity's status is changed to Won, Lost, or Abandoned, and the Close Date has passed.
- For Won, Lost or Abandoned Opportunities whose Close Date has passed, the converted Value will be calculated based on the exchange rate on that Close Date. If you change the Close Date to another date that has already passed, the converted Value will be re-calculated based on that updated Close Date.
- For Leads, the converted Value will update daily based on the most recent exchange rate.
Admins can set up multi-currency by selecting a default currency for the account, then choosing additional currencies a user can select. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Sign into your Copper account, and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'Currency' from the 'Account Settings' section.
- In the 'Company Base Currency' box, select your default currency for lead, opportunity and report values.
- Above the 'Additional Currencies' section, click the plus sign to add an alternative currency you can let your users choose from:
- In the pop-up window that appears, add the additional currencies your users can choose from by clicking on each one:
- Click 'Save' in the pop-up window when you're done selecting currencies. You should now see all the additional currencies displayed on the main 'Currency Settings' page.
People have different preferences around how they want to see a monetary value displayed. Whether it's the currency symbol, or the number of decimal places, or something else, we let you customize how your monetary values show up in Copper. Just follow the steps below:
- Sign into Copper, and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'Currency Settings' from the 'Preferences' section.
- Click the pencil icon next to the currency you'd like to format.
- Make your edits in the pop-up window that appears. At the bottom of the pop-up window, you'll see a preview of how your currency value will display.
Let's review the editing options and what they mean:
- Symbol - You can choose which symbol you want to use to denote the currency. You can also choose none at all.
- Thousands Separator - Do you want to separate each thousand by a comma, a period or a space?
- Decimal Places - How many numbers can appear behind a decimal point in a currency value?
- Decimal Separator - Do you want to denote a decimal by a period or a comma?
- Click 'Save.'
Each user can specify their preferred currency for viewing transactions and reports by taking the following steps:
- Sign into your Copper account, and select 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'My Preferences' in the 'Personal Preferences' section.
- Under 'Default Currency,' select your preferred currency from the drop-down menu:
Now that multi-currency is enabled, how does it benefit your workflow?
- You can select your currency preference when entering the value on a lead or opportunity record:
- You can filter lists of leads or opportunities by currency. This is great for international companies using Copper, which helps sort through a list of leads or opportunities that might be in multiple currencies:
- You can add a 'Value' column to your list of leads or opportunities, then sort this 'Value' column to show currency in ascending or descending value. This will compare the native value of each currency (left) to your currency preference (right):
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.